Staying motivated can be difficult under the best circumstances. Even the best of us can hit a plateau and lose focus for a short period of time. The trick is to not give up and to get back on track as soon as possible. Earlier this month a Facebook poll was circulated with the title, “How to stay motivated to reach your goals?” Here are some of the top suggestions from MyFitnessPal.Get Inspired by Others
Take a look at those around you. Many are facing the same issues or may have even overcome them. Take a note from their book and watch the changes happen.
- “I surround myself with motivated people with similar goals!” —Jennifer R. H.
- “Reading success stories and seeing my logging count increment: 502 days and counting!” —Tom W.
- “I have my bad days, but just seeing other people progress and succeed keeps me going.” —Tessica M.
- “I just picture all the jerks who called me fat or made fun of me while growing up and that pushes me even harder to prove that I CAN DO IT!” —Amy B.
- “Helping others meet their goals motivates me to push myself harder towards my own.” —Richard J.
Look at How Far You’ve Come.
We all have a journey and sometime simply looking at ourselves now compare to where we were then can really super charge our batteries.
- “I think of how far I’ve come—I’ve lost 315lbs., and how I feel now, which is awesome!” —Les S.
- “My motivation is knowing I’ve come too far to quit now.” —Erin S.
- “Taking pictures every 30 days really helps. If you have been working out and tracking your calories, you may not see the scale move much, which is frustrating. But if you look at your photos every 30 days, you will see a leaner body and inches lost!” —Christina P.
- “I wear two ankle bracelets. One shows how many inches my waist was when I started, and one shows where I want to be. Whenever I lack motivation, I take them off and compare them to where I am now.” —Elizabeth A.
- “Looking at how happy and comfortable I looked in old pictures before I put the weight on. Looking at pictures since I put the weight on—my smile looks forced and my clothes look uncomfortable when I dress up. A healthier me is a happier me!” —Kathee B.
Lean on Friends and Family
Join or build a support group. Sometimes a little encouragement from others can be all that is needed to get you over the hump.
- “I look at my children. They deserve a healthy mom.” —Heidi H. P.
- “Doing this with my wife, Melissa. She’s a hottie!” —Perry O.
- “I have a nice bet going with a friend.” —Billie J. P.
- “Set small goals, set targets and rewards for both small and large goals, and post on Facebook for support from friends and family.” —Lisa T.
- “My husband/cheerleader/weight loss partner. I wouldn’t have been able to lose over 100 pounds without him!” —Laura S.
There isn’t an easier way to make progress than to just keep moving. Find something you like to do like walking in the park, going for bike rides, playing basketball, or simple parking further from the door at the grocery store. These simple changes can make a big different in your success.
- “I register for mud runs and obstacle course events.” —Karie M.
- “Exercise before breakfast. There’s nothing better than seeing that you can eat more calories than you started the day with!” —Joanne J.
- “My wonderful daughter encouraging me and entering us in 5Ks keeps us motivated.” —Angela S. P.
- “Sometimes, the only thing getting me out the door for a run is if I’m already in my workout clothes. Everyday, I wake up and put on my pants, sports bra, shirt, and tennis shoes. Just putting on the clothes makes me think, ‘Well, I’m already dressed, might as well go for it.’” —Tracy L. C.
- “Exercising first thing every morning before I can talk myself out of it. I go at 7:00am everyday, except Sunday.” —Janet C. –
Get Excited about New Clothes
There is nothing wrong with a little shopping therapy. The time will come when you will have to finally buy that smaller pair of jeans or that size 6 dress. Relish in the moment and enjoy your new look.
- “I love looking at clothes on Pinterest to keep me motivated.”—Sarah Marie B.
- “New workout clothes and shoes—it’s worked for over 3 years now!” —Kelly E. S.
- “I buy a pair of pants or a shirt that is a couple of sizes too small.” —Roberto M.
- “I bought a dress to wear for a special event this summer. It fits okay, but I want to look amazing in it by August!” —Krista Danielle E.
- “My closet full of cute clothes that I haven’t been able to wear since getting pregnant and having a baby. I WILL be back in those clothes!” —Addie L. F.
Rely on Fitness Tracker
There are a number of helpful fitness trackers available to help you reach your goal. Try MyFinessPal, it’s a smartphone app that not only tracks your fitness progress but your food intake, calories, workout, and many other get tell-tale signs you are on the right track.
- “Loving the little messages on the [android] app now! Feel a little thrill every time it tells me I’ve made a good choice!” —Katherine E.
- “My food diary on MyFitnessPal is the only thing that has ever worked to keep me from gaining weight.” —Gina H. R.
- “The best way is to have a MyFitnessPal partner! I had my daughter-in-law. She got me started on the program, and it worked beautifully for both of us! I still frequently thank her.” —Linda J. L.
- “I have MyFitnessPal friends who keep me motivated on the app. And I read the Success Stories forum a lot.” —Aaron D.
- Every Time I click the link at the end of the day and it tells me how much I would be in 5 weeks if I continued to have the same progress— that keeps me encouraged.”—Doug C.